Monday, October 31, 2016

Ginger-Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Cream

Today, I was looking through my cabinets trying to figure out what I could make with a can of pumpkin. I was in a pumpkin kinda mood all morning, as today is Halloween and it's fall and my favorite holiday involving all things pumpkin is up next- Thanksgiving! A quick Pinterest search brought up some amazing results. I decided on soup, but I didn't have all the ingredients I needed, so I adapted a pumpkin soup from a fellow blogger and I wanted to share my version of the soup below. Original recipe can be found HERE and was created by Katie Shields of the Honestly Nourished Blog.


Ginger-Pumpkin Soup w/Coconut Cream

Serves: 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30-45 minutes 

Gluten free, Dairy free,  Paleo

INGREDIENTS //

1 tbs coconut oil
2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
2  parsnips, peeled and chopped
4 organic celery sticks, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tbs freshly grated ginger root
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 BPA-free cans organic pumpkin puree (be careful not to buy pumpkin pie filling!)
16-ounces organic chicken broth
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
1-2 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 can organic light coconut milk 



For garnish:
1 bunch organic cilantro, rosemary, or flat leaf Italian parsley
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

STEPS //

  1. Add the coconut oil, curry, ginger, garlic, red chili pepper flakes and all of your veggies to a large soup pan and heat on medium high until the vegetables are translucent.
  2. Add the can of pumpkin puree, 2 cups of chicken broth, and the can of coconut milk to the pot and stir until well incorporated. Also add sea salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Bring soup to a boil and cook for 5 minutes before reducing heat to a simmer. Allow soup to continue to cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes, until the volume is reduced by about half.
  4. Once the soup is sufficiently cooked down, allow it to cool for 15 minutes.
  5. Use an immersion or high-speed blender to blend the soup until creamy. 
  6. Pour soup into bowls and garnish with a handful of pumpkin seeds, fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
  7. Enjoy!
ps- here is some good info. from Katie that I wanted to pass along ;)


No comments:

 

Search Away

Follow the Leader